Lower Body Workout
We runners often skip lower body workouts in an effort to avoid being too sore for our runs...but strength and mobility in our hips and glutes is vital to running injury-free! This short lower body circuit will have you feeling the burn without feeling too sore to get that run in.
Warm up with 3-5 minutes of dynamic stretching
Complete 12-15 reps of each exercise, then repeat the entire circuit for a total of 3 rounds.
1. Single Leg Stiff Deadlift (8 reps per side); Stand with your weight on one leg. Hinge forward at the waist, keeping just a slight bend in your supporting leg and extending your opposite leg straight out behind you. Keep your back flat as you perform this deadlift, and engage your glutes to keep your leg extended straight behind your body.
2. Clamshell (8 reps per side); Lie on your side with knees bent at a 45° angle, hinge from your top hip to rotate your top knee towards the ceiling, engaging your glutes and keeping your heels together.
3. Donkey Kicks (8 reps per side); Begin on hands and knees with a flat back. Keeping a bend in your knee, engage your glutes to raise your right foot up above your body, then lower back down.
4. Curtsy Lunges (8 reps per side); With legs slightly wider than shoulder width apart, lunge diagonally backwards so that your right foot crosses behind your left leg. Make sure to keep your left knee behind your toe to engage and stabilize your body. Return to starting position and repeat!
5. Lateral Leg Raise (8 reps per side); Lie on your side with legs fully extended. Lift your top leg ~45°, then lower back down.
6. Bird Dog (8 reps per side); Begin on hands and knees with back flat. Reach your right arm straight out in front of you, and your left leg straight out behind you. Crunch your left knee in towards your abdomen as you crunch your right elbow in. Extend back to starting position.
Cool down with 3-5 minutes of stretching